Things to Do in Spain – GeckoGo Now Offers Travel Tips for Those Going to Spain
Mountain View, December 10, 2008 - GeckoGo (http://www.geckogo.com) is a travel site that helps independent travelers plan their trips, make friends, and share information to help others. If travelers are looking for things to do in Spain then GeckoGo.com is a great place to start.
Spain has an impressive combination of historical sites and places where travelers can enjoy a little fun and sun. Spain was once one of the greatest world powers with colonies located around the world. Like the British Empire, it was said that the sun never set on Spain because its territories spanned the globe. Before that, it was invaded by the Moors during the Crusaders period, who have left a lasting imprint on the southern parts of Spain. These influences have resulted in much historical diversity and there is something to satisfy most people visiting Spain.
Beach lovers will love the Canary Islands and the Costa del Sol. Both are very popular beach and resort areas that attract millions each year. For energetic partiers, the island of Ibiza is renowned for its summer parties and massive clubs, some of which can hold up to 10,000 people,
The two leading cities in Spain are the capital of Madrid and Barcelona. Madrid is notable for the Prado, which has perhaps the best collection of classical paintings in the world. You can also visit the Royal Palace of Madrid and the nearby huge monastery of El Escorial. The Catalan city of Barcelona is culturally distinct and has the energetic streetlife of Las Ramblas, Gaudi’s monumental Sacred Family Church and an atmospheric Gothic Quarter.
Spain has a number of tremendously preserved medieval cities as well. Granada is perhaps the jewel of them all with the famous Alhambra. This Moorish palace/fort is atmospheric, beautiful and is one of the most popular attractions in Spain. Cordoba has another must-see attraction with its 8th century Moorish (and Christian) Mezquita. Toledo is a quick train ride from Madrid and has a very impressive old town and cathedral. Seville’s Alcazar is a masterpiece, while its Gothic Cathedral is the third largest in the world.
The Top 5 Things to Do in Spain Recommended by GeckoGo.com Users:
1. Alhambra: The 14th century Alhambra (so named because of its red walls) is an outstanding Moorish palace/fort that is one of the most impressive buildings in the world, and is the most popular historical attraction in Spain, with around 2 million visitors (mandatory advanced ticketing) each year.
2. Sagrada Familia (Gaudi Cathedral): Antoni Gaudi’s unfinished masterpiece is one of the most incredible and memorable churches in the world. It is a throwback to the days when churches took hundreds of years to build, as it was started in 1883 and is still under construction today. Donations, admission fees (from over 4 million annual visitors), and souvenir sales help continue the construction, but there is still no end in site. The construction cranes are ever present and are pretty much part of the design.
3. Parc Güell (Gaudi's Garden): Commissioned by Count Eusebi Güell, Parque Guelle is a famous and well known Art Nouveau park designed by architect Antoni Gaudi. The park was built between 1900 and 1914, and is considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
4. Plaza Mayor: One of the best places in the country to see people and get a coffee. Generally very quiet until around noon, then very active until midnight, even on weekdays. Serves as an excellent source of orientation within Salamanca: cathedrals and university to the south, bars and historic buildings to the west, bars and shops to the north, and bars and post office to the east.
5. The Magic Fountain of Montjuic: The magic fountain is a spectacular water ballet with a great play of color, light & music.
For more tips on things to do in Spain visit: http://www.geckogo.com/Guide/Spain.html
About GeckoGo: GeckoGo (www.geckogo.com) is a travel site for independent travelers that helps plan things to do in Spain and other countries. Publicly launched in October 2008, GeckoGo is the fastest growing source of unique travel content on the Internet, with over 110,000 travel tips and reviews. GeckoGo is based in Mountain View, California.
Media contact: Alexia Nestora, http://www.voluntourismgal.com , 303.898.3376